Low Fat Chocolate Cake Recipe
by Chi-Chi and Akin
Usually cakes and healthy diets do not go well together, but this low fat chocolate cake is an exception to the rule. This dark, rich looking, low fat, no cholesterol chocolate cake is very healthy and has no saturated fats at all. So this is a very good dessert for someone who likes healthy foods and cakes. To further reduce the amounts of fat, we have deliberately omitted the frosting.
1. All-purpose flour – 9 oz (2 cups)
2. Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
3. Baking powder – 1 tsp
4. Salt - 1/2 tsp
5. Cocoa powder – 4.5 oz (1/2 cup)
6. Brown sugar – 16 oz (2 cups)
7. Vegetable oil – 4 oz (1/2 cup)
8. Skimmed milk – 8 oz (1 cup)
9. Egg whites - 4
10. Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
11. Nuts of your choice (Optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175°C.
2. Lightly grease and line an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with baking paper. OR you can use a silicone baking pan that does not need any greasing or lining, thus reducing the fat even more.
3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
4. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until very frothy and stiff peaks form.
5. Whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil and skimmed milk. Stir in the vanilla.
6. Into this mixture, fold in the flour mixture and egg whites a little at a time alternatively and whisk until an evenly smooth batter is formed.
7. Mix in some nuts of your choice if you like.
8 Pour this into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
9. Allow it to cool in the pan for some time before turning onto the rack for complete cooling. Frost the cake and serve.
10. Frosting: Cream margarine and sugar. Mix in the cocoa powder, skimmed milk and vanilla and mix well to a smooth spreading consistency.
*In this cake only vegetable oil is used, so there are no saturated fats at all.
*Also only egg whites are used so no cholesterol from egg yolks in it.
*Instead of making the cake from the scratch you can also us e1 pack of chocolate mix.
Hope you love eating this delicious cake.